Friday, October 31, 2008

EGD a Success!

Today was my EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) *try saying that 3 times fast!*



Anyhow, mom and I went to the Outpatient Surgery Center in J.C. around 730 this morning.

I think I waited all of 5 minutes and was taken back to the holding area where I put on a hospital gown and relaxed in a ginormously squishy easy chair. I had a sweet Nurse named Chris, who by the way has had the gastric banding done. So far he has lost 100 pounds! To look at the guy he looks as though he's never been big a day in his life!

Chris started an IV on me *I am a WAAY hard stick* and to my surprise he numbed me with a tiny shot of lidocaine before he stuck in the IV. Let me just say that it was the BEST IV I have ever had! No pain, and I didn't even bruise after the fact!

I basically sat back in the holding area for a little over an hour and took a nap until they took me back to my room where they did the procedure. The room was fairly small but comfy. I was put on a stretcher and hooked up to an automatic BP machine and heart monitor. I waited around 25 minutes (when the doctor arrived) then was given some nasty thick lidocaine gel that I gargled with and had to swallow. Needless to say Amy gagged a little...


I then was given 2 sprays of even more powerful lidocaine spray that burned a little going down my throat. Not even 15 seconds went by and I had absolutely no feeling in my throat!

The surgical tech and Nurse layed me on my left side and that's when Dr. Hodge came in the room and said, "Hey Amy! How are you doing??" I said, "Fabulous! Dr. Hodge!" I remember the nurse saying something like, "Now you'll start feeling a little funny in a second"

Dr. Hodge asked why I was so fabulous and all I got out was, "Because I've only got 5 weeks left of nursing schoo.."


The next thing I knew I woke up in the post op area where an awesome nurse took out my IV and told me I would feel a little groggy for a few minutes. To be quite honest I felt like I just woke up from a nice deep good night sleep.


Apparently right after the procedure, Dr. Hodge called out and talked to mom on the phone and said I was okay for the surgery!

I got changed back into my clothes and was taken out to mom's car parked out front. Mom asked how the procedure went and I was like, "It was awesome!" Mom said, "Apparently...because the staff said you were quite hilarious." Hmmmm I guess Versed and Fentanyl makes me an unconscious comedian???


Now all I have to do is attend one Preop and three Postop support group meetings and I will have all of my requirements finished for surgery! I will have these finished by December 12th and then I wait on insurance approval.



God is soooooo good!! I am so excited about this surgery!!!

2 comments:

Susy said...

Your on your way... Getting all that pre op stuff done. I feel your joy and I am happy for you!

:)

Susy said...

Zamy- I got your message on my blog. Wish I had your e mail so I could write you. Don't publish this on your blog if you don't want to, this is the only way I could write you back.

I made small changes to my diet before my WLS. Gave up coffee, mayo, things like that. I got very stick 2 weeks before my surgery. Ate very light pre pairing for surgery. After your surgery things will be different for you. Even your taste buds change for awhile. What you once liked you don't anymore. And then new old yucky foods taste great. I now eat a plate of green beans-who would of ever thought I'd sit down and just eat green beans. It's crazy good. :) Don't stress it. Make small changes right now. Just do the best you can do each meal and be proud of the changes your making in your life prepairing for your future. Get your mind set and ready for the postive changes that are coming into your life. Pick up a yogurt and eat a salad, cottage cheese from time to time. You'll do fine! And hun, for me I still work on that head game stuff everyday of my life. Somedays are easier than others. I'm living in this body and can't believe it. I've never known anything different so it's still sinking in to this day. Dr. bypassed my stomach, not my head. I have to make myself talk "nice" and say good things in my head. The body has changed but not the head games somedays. But it is getting easier. I have no regrets and I am very happy! Still learning. But to this day I still fear going back. It's always been that way. Lose weight, gain more. Years of games. But I can do this. But it's not the easy way out. Someone said that to me once and I about hit them. :)

Keep in touch and write me anytime.

Susy