Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Doctor Visit # 2

So today was my second doctor's visit. As I knew well, my lab work was not very good. My triglycerides were high and my glucose tolerance test was too close for comfort. So what happened today you ask? Well knowing your health information, and hearing it from someone else are two different things... Although I knew what was coming...it was still a shock to hear my doctor say, "Amy, you have an impaired glucose tolerance...I want you to get a glucometer and check your blood sugar 3 times a day between now and May 15th." She told me that I am not diabetic YET...but that if I didn't make the dietary changes NOW...that I would quickly become a type 2 diabetic.

Amy was like....



The next topic was about my food journal. I have been keeping up with my eating for the past month on sparkpeople.com. I brought the printouts of the last 30 days to give to my doctor. She said she would review my food journal and give me feed back about it next time. In the mean time, my doctor put me on an 1800 ADA diet. She wants me to lose 6 lbs by my next appointment, May 15th.

I am slightly in shock...I guess it was the glucometer part...and hearing that I'm officially on an 1800 ADA diet that really got me.

As for the GBS stuff, I had weigh in # 1 (last time was my baseline weight). Even though my next appointment is in May, I have weigh in #2 next month on the 27th.

Shew....I'm going to get off of here and gather myself...I'm still all weirded out by everything.

Until next time.....

3 comments:

Susy said...

Hugs...thinking of you and take care of you my friend!

Kelly said...

I was just peeking at your SparkPeople food log and noticed the blood sugar testing. I hadn't read this blog in awhile and wondered if you mentioned it. I guess you did!

I still remember vividly the time I was at the doctor during my 2nd year in Chicago and he told me how much I weighed (about 45 pounds more than I do now!). For the very first time, a doctor expressed that he was concerned about my weight. He was actually very nice about it, unlike some other doctor horror stories I've heard. But I knew I had to get into gear.

I don't know if you know, but my dad and my Papa both have Type 2 diabetes. As you know, my dad has been heavy for a lot of years and he got diabetes in his 40's. My Papa has always been slender and active and didn't get it until his 70's. Medically, I've always been a lot like that side of the family, so I know it's MY choice as to whether I get Type 2 diabetes in my 40's or in my 70's.

I'm proud of you for taking the steps you need to get back into shape. It is a long process - and will hopefully be sped along by your surgery - but I remember how tired and unhealthy I felt 45 pounds ago compared to how good I feel now. I look forward to seeing what it's like 30 pounds from here. :)

Hugs!

zamy said...

Susy, thank you...that means a lot to me!

Kelly, it is a very grounding experience to hear just how close you are to having a disease...I mean I realize people live with diabetes everyday...but seeing what diabetes can do to a person (working at the hospital) it is scary.
Anyhow, thank you for your support. You are a true inspiration to me.
I love you lots.