Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I've come to a conclusion


glitter-graphics.com

I've had it in my mind for the past few months that GBS may not be for me.

Some of my family feels very strongly against the surgery, no doubt in regards to the fact that it is major surgery.

With this in mind, I've been going full force with my 1800 ADA diet and exercise. My doctor wants me to lose at least 6 lbs before my next visit with her in May.


My blood sugar has been great not to mention my body acts as though it likes me better at the moment. Even though these positive things have happened....I still have not lost any weight. And I am seriously giving this all I have!

It gets frustrating...just when I think I've got something that will work for me and help get this weight off...nothing happens!

Well, today I came to the realization that GBS is without a doubt a definite option for me. What helped me come to this conclusion, aside from the constant prayer about it, is a book called Before and After: Living and eating well after weight loss surgery, by Susan Maria Leach.

The author of this book describes in vivid detail her experience before, during and after her surgery. As she describes herself before the surgery, I feel as though she wrote about the feelings/situations that I go through on a daily basis.
Could it be true that my body would respond well to the surgery?

Well, on the 27th of this month, I will have weigh-in #2. I cannot believe that I only have 4 more months until I turn in all of my paperwork for insurance approval. To some, 4 months sounds long and dreadful...but to me...four months is not very far away!
My doctor will have to write a letter of recommendation for the surgery and I will retake the dietary class in June...then all I'll have to do is submit all of this to the surgeon's office and they will send it off for insurance approval.

I can only dream about how good I will finally feel in my own skin one of these days. I can only dream of the confidence and energy!

In the mean time, I will continue to pray for peace and patience.

Until next time....

5 comments:

Susy said...

Amy

I'm proud of you for searching out every aspect to life without surgery. WLS is a "tool", not a perfect fix for life. Knowledge is power and your doing just that....Learn, read, talk, and then learn more. After thinking and praying on my journey for sometime, I finally knew I had to do this for myself when my husband was in the hospital with his heart. I knew my future health and got really scared. For me the risks of staying obese for many more years out weighed the risks that might come from having surgery.

I'm proud of your journey Amy!

Good luck. :) Susy

Kelly said...

I was spying on your food log again (I'm a nutrition stalker!) and had a thought. I've been listening to a lot of low carb podcasts lately when I'm walking to and from work and while I'm doing housework and some of the things they're saying about a low carb diet controlling blood sugar makes sense. Carbs, even complex carbs, cause spikes in insulin. By eating more protein and fat and fewer carbs, you can keep your insulin on a more even keel.

I don't test my blood sugar daily, so I haven't been able to check it out, but it might be an experiment you try for yourself to see how your blood sugar comes out. You can take a look at my food log and see what you think. My ultimate goal is to have under 100 g of net carbs (g of carbs minus g of fiber) and around 150 g protein per day. I've been a bit high on the carbs lately, but since before doing this I was eating around 250-300 g of carbs per day, I figure staying in the 100's is an improvement.

zamy said...

Thanks Susy and Kelly!

HOA Mgr Lady said...

Whoo hoo keep at it! I know many people (Non fat people mostly) think we can do it on our own... it's just not right for people to judge. At your age you have sop much ahead of you and I can tell you are an active woman. The band sounds like a reasonable choice.
Whoo hoo be patient time is on your side... you'll get there!
Ruth

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Zamy,

I hope your next doctor's visit yields the result you are looking for.

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Weight Loss Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff