Friday, March 20, 2009

Health concerns and changes

First of all I am happy to say that I am now officially Amy, RN!!! Passing state boards has taken a lot of pressure off of me and now I feel as though I can live my life again.




Let's see, I got a call from my new doctor a couple weeks ago about some of my blood work...let's just say it wasn't very good. In a nutshell, my triglycerides were through the roof and my glucose tolerance test results were at the absolute cut off...a little too close to the 'impaired glucose' side. The same day they got my results back, the doctor called in a prescription for a cholesterol medicine called Tricor. This medicine helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides along with diet and exercise. Needless to say this whole ordeal was a nice wake-up call for me.

My doctor also wanted me to start a food journal, in which I track the food I eat, when I eat it, how much and the fat/caloric/sugar contents of them. I've been tracking my food on http://www.sparkpeople.com/ and hopefully I can find a way to print out my daily log of food for the past few weeks. I can't say that I've been 100% faithful in tracking my food, as I missed 3 days over the past 3 weeks. These days, however have been when I've worked 2 and 3 twelve hour shifts in a row...and I was completely exhausted.

As for exercise, I've taken my time starting a program. I have done around 1-3 days of exercise per week. This usually includes doing a Walk Away the Pounds dvd, going to the gym at my apartment complex and hopping on the elliptical/treadmill and a little weight lifting. I plan on being more dedicated to my exercising in the coming week. I wanted to start of slow and work my way up, instead of going 'balls to the wall' and completely getting burned out after the first couple of weeks. *as I am use to doing*

On the topic of surgery, I called my surgeon's office and spoke with the woman in charge of insurance issues. I explained to her all that has happened within the last few months with having to find a new doctor and do the weigh-in's over again. She informed me that the first weigh in would not count, as it would be a baseline. My next weigh in, March 31st will be weigh-in #1. The lady also informed me that as far as requirements are concerned, I only have to redo the nutrition class and weigh-in's. Praise God! For the next 5 months I will be weighing in at my doctor's office as well as continue with my food journal and exercise rountine. If I lose 65 pounds between now and the end of August, I will NOT have gastric bypass surgery. I have faith that what ever the Lord wants to happen...will happen. Either way, I look forward to the coming months.

I will post again after my next doctor's appointment on the 31st.

Until then, take care everyone!



glitter-graphics.com

1 comment:

Susy said...

RN- Congrats! :) U should be proud. Take care! It was good hearing from you.