Monday, October 11, 2010

STOP....look around....and proceed



Strange post title eh? lol Well, allow me to explain....

This past week I've slowly been slipping back in to old habits...nothing earth shattering...just little things. But as we all know it's the little things that can turn into BIG things quickly!
For example: I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I then head to the kitchen to see what I could eat....*YES in the middle of the night*
Another example: Sitting around being bored, waiting...then all of a sudden I notice 'snack foods' just hanging around....so I eat a few pieces. *And I'm not even hungry!!
Thankfully, I stumbled upon an old book with excellent principles of healthy eating habits. I re-read this book in just the right areas to help me get back on track.
Principles such as:
-Do not be deceived, know why you eat!
-Never eat when you are bored or tired
-Drink water the moment you feel hungry to make sure it isn't just dehydration masking as hunger
-Always write down what you eat (which I do)
-Exercise is a great way to relieve stress AND fill time!

Anyhow, after my time of reflection, I now have a better understanding and handle on the way things are going now. This is  and will remain a daily battle. I knew, going into this surgery that it would be difficult to maintain the proper eating regimen 100% of the time.  I'm not perfect by ANY stretch of the imagination, but thank God that I can take this thing one day at a time.
Things to do instead of snacking:
-Read a book  -Exercise: Pilates, Yoga or go for a walk  -Crafts  -Watch a movie  -Netflix!!  -Get together with a friend  -Take a hot bath/shower  -Sleep  -Play a game  -Play on Internet  -Blog  -Journal  -Cross stitch  -Draw/Paint  -Clean  -Organize bills etc  -Paint nails  ....and the list goes on!

Let me reiterate, this surgery is NOT the easy way out! It is a tool that is meant to be used properly. I do not want to be one of the hundreds of gastric bypass patients that gain weight back! I have a new way of living and I plan on keeping myself healthy and on the right track.
I have 28 more pounds to lose for my personal goal of 150lbs and I will achieve this by next May.

Until next time, take care everyone!!

No comments: