Monday, September 29, 2008

Doctor Visit # 1

So today was my first visit to the surgeon's office and it went rather well!
Aside from the fact that I have a bad case of bronchitis *which makes me a zombie* everything went as planned.

The first person I talked to at the office was the Medical Coder/Insurance lady. She handed me a sheet with a list of things my insurance requires me to do BEFORE I can have the surgery *and have them pay for it* The list is as follows:



EGD (scheduled for Oct. 24th)
 Gallbladder ultrasound (scheduled for Oct. 6th)
 Psych Evaluation (scheduled for Sept. 30th)
 Nutrition Class (finished Sept 17th)
 Letter from PCP detailing your diet and weight history up to 5 years back. Need to know your weights / type of diet / length of time on each diet / failures / successes. Also include list of illnesses and how gastric surgery will help them along. Include doctor’s recommendation and medical clearance to have the surgery.
*** Need documentation of Doctor supervised diet program for 7 consecutive months.
 Attendance in monthly support group meeting (scheduled for Oct. 18th / Nov. 14th & 15th)
 Letter from yourself stating why you need to have bariatric surgery, your willingness to comply with the dietary restrictions necessary after surgery along with the lifelong changes that will be needed.


The only thing I lack here is the needed documentation of doctor supervised diet program for 7 consecutive months. I HAVE done this but my doctor's office has not officially 'documented' for seven consecutive months *or at least I didn't see it in my chart copies*

I am going to my primary care doctor tomorrow to discuss this with her.
*Prayers that the Lord would allow my doctor to supply me with this much needed information tomorrow!*


Next, I met with the surgeon and I must say that I like his demeanor. Good attitude, very knowledgeable and he informed me that he does at least 10 gastric bypasses a week!
He put me at ease with the operation and answered all of my questions had written down.

After meeting with the surgeon I waited as two of the nurses there made me appointments for:
-Gallbladder ultrasound
-EGD

After leaving the surgeon's office, I went down the road to an outpatient surgery building to pre-register for my EGD I will be having towards the end of the month. This is basically the procedure in which I get put under anesthesia and the doctor puts a scope down my throat to check for dyspepsia *heart burn/ulcers* Thankfully Mom is taking off for the day to drive and be there with me * I love my Momma!!*

Tomorrow is my psych evaluation and my appointment with my pcp about the insurance document needed.

Shew....I've had a long day...
I do believe I am going to take my antibiotics and head to bed.

*I love you all*

No comments: